We’re getting closer to the end as the season gets closer to the Super Bowl. Next week is the Senior Bowl, which typically kicks up draft talk another notch. In the meantime, let’s take a look at what Cowboys rumors we can expect this offseason. These are just predictions, some may happen, some may have no chance at happening; but, I’m throwing these out there for everyone to ponder.
(In no particular order or preference)
- Roy Williams (SS) – Roy Williams will probably get released considering how much more cash flow cutting him will add to our free agency pool. I expect this one to happen pretty soon.
- Marion Barber III – I fully expect trade rumors to run rampant the closer the draft gets here. As far fetched as it may seem, Jerry could pull the trigger on a trade to upgrade other areas if he so believes. There will be several teams looking for a solid back this offseason as the draft doesn’t have a great crop like last year. If Jones feels comfortable in Felix Jones and Tashard Choice taking the team over, then yes we could see a trade, nothing less than a 1st rounder though. We’ll see.
- Terrell Owens – there’s a notion that we could see Owens released due to the fact that releasing Owens would not impact our cap much at all; in addition, it appears Garrett will be back as the OC, so if both are back expect an explosion of frustation from Owens especially early on. If we start where we ended this past season, then forget it, it’ll be a disaster. Owens wants to win like anyone else, but if cooler heads cannot prevail, something would need to change. Forget trading him, it’ll be the same at Philly, why trade when you can wait for an imminent release. He won’t be traded.
- Brad Johnson – its just a matter of time before Johnson get’s his walking papers. He was a decent option 2 years ago, but after watching him last preseason, and this past season, he is past his playing years. He’s gone.
- Kyle Kosier – surprised to see him on here? Not me, I was never a big Kosier fan, of the five lineman, he’s been the most average of the group, couple him next to Adams, and its even worse. Clearly Jerry isn’t going to let Adams go this year, but I expect a change at LG, either by free agency or by the draft. Don’t give me, the line suffered this year because Kosier was injured, yes that’s true, but even when healthy he’s still average amongst the other beasts, he’s totally upgradable.
- Bobby Carpenter – Parcells and Phillips have either stunted his growth into oblivion or he flat out can’t play the position, I expect him to be traded to Miami, Saints, or Detroit. I don’t see him taking over that open slot. I loved the pick, but he never saw the field and got pidgeon-holed as a backup. He needs a fresh start bigtime.
- Terence Newman – Another player that probably will be back, but the chance of him being traded is there. Two consecutive injury riddled season’s and he hasn’t been 100% the whole time means the car is breaking down doesn’t it? At 30, Newman can still play good, but only when healthy. A trade could happen here with Newman if Jerry feels good about Jenkins and Scandrick maning the corners, something the Cowboys need to happen soon, might as well move forward.
Important Upcoming Dates:
February 18-24 – NFL Scouting Combine, Indianapolis, Indiana.
February 19 – Deadline for clubs to designate franchise and transition players.
February 26 – Deadline for submission of qualifying offers by clubs to their restricted free agents whose contracts have expired and to whom they desire to retain a right of first refusal/compensation.
February 26 – Deadline for clubs to submit offer of minimum salary to retain exclusive negotiating rights to their players with fewer than three seasons of free agency credit whose contracts have expired.
February 27 – Veteran free agency signing period begins.
February 27 – Trading period begins.
April 17 – Signing period ends for restricted free agents.
April 24 – Deadline for old club to exercise right of first refusal to restricted free agents.
April 25-26 – NFL Draft, New York City.
May 18-20 – NFL Spring Meeting, Fort Lauderdale, Florida.
June 1 – Deadline for old clubs to send tender to unsigned unrestricted free agents to receive exclusive negotiating rights for rest of season if player is not signed by another club by July 22.
June 1 – Deadline for old clubs to send tender to unsigned restricted free agents or to extend qualifying offer to retain exclusive negotiating rights.
June 15 – Deadline for old clubs to withdraw original qualifying offer to unsigned restricted free agents and still retain exclusive negotiating rights by substituting tender of 110 percent of previous yearâ€™s salary.
June 28-July 1 – NFL Rookie Symposium, Palm Beach Gardens, Florida.
Mid-July – Training camps open.
July 22 – Signing period ends at 4:00 PM ET for unrestricted free agents who received June 1 tender.
August 9 – Pro Football Hall of Fame Game, Canton, Ohio.
August 13-17 – First preseason weekend.
September 1 – Roster cutdown to maximum of 75 players.
September 5 – Roster cutdown to maximum of 53 players.
September 10-14 – Kickoff 2009 Weekend.